Dec 9, 2012

Thai Green Curry Soup

I love Thai food, let me say it again I LOVE Thai food, my DH not so much. I did get him to take me to a Thai restaurant for my birthday and he was shocked that the food is not what he thought it was. What did he think it was? I have no clue. Maybe Chinese.  Either way he ended up liking it.  He surprised me this summer when he planted Thai basil at our garden which I took as a sign.  I've had these ingredients at hand, but time was delaying me trying to make my favorite soup, green curry.... Thinking about it makes me salivate.  I typically will order it from a restaurant by my job, but at $9.50 for a small container, it's a splurge and not the norm. BTW, if you are ever in the Mount Vernon area of Baltimore, check out Thai Landing, their food is awesome. Simple and tasty.
 

I read up on some recipes and saw that even though there are various ways to make it, the base is almost always the same.  I decided to make my own version with these ingredients.
 
The green block in the small bowl is the Thai basil frozen to preserve the flavor. I added cilantro because I didn't have Kaffir leaves.
 
 
 
The process was simple; browned the chicken in hot wok, saute the onion and garlic, then add the fat from the coconut milk in with the curry paste and carrots. Let that cook for a bit (while the kids start coughing because of the spice LOL).  Add in the fish sauce, broth, rest of the coconut milk, basil and cilantro. Let it cook for a bit and you are done.
 

 Serve over a bed of rice. DH and DD loved it, DS was tired and wanted nothing but the chicken.  Overall, my version is a PASS.  I could not make it as spicy as I would like since the kids had to eat from it, next batch will be strictly for me. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment